Malaysia’s Leong Jun Hao rued lack of controlled shot for his first-round exit at the 2025 All England Badminton Championships on Tuesday.
The World No.24 fell to Indonesia’s Jonathan Christie 11-21, 19-21 in the R32 clash inside 40 minutes at the Arena Birmingham.
“I wanted to put pressure on him (Jonatan) and perform well, but at the beginning I was nervous and struggled to control my shots,” Jun Hao said in a post-match interview with the BWF Media.
“In the second game, I managed to play with more patience, which helped me score more points.”
The Malaysian had defeated the World No.2 twice, including in the Kumamoto Masters semi-finals last year, despite the gulf in rankings.
Jun Hao will now prepare for the 2025 Swiss Open.
He admits to improving under the new Danish coach Kenneth Jonassen.
“Coach Kenneth is helping me add more variety to my game and take it to the next level,” he said.
“I still need time to fully adapt to his methods because we’ve only just started working together, and my game isn’t consistent yet.”